Bigby OGN or Fables: Werevolves of the Heartland

Discuss all things Fables

Moderators: Charles Reed, Kelsi Parker

Bigby OGN or Fables: Werevolves of the Heartland

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:30 pm

I see that Max Pacheco (*) linked to this in the SDCC thread, but I definitely think it's worth a stand-alone thread:

http://vertigo.blog.dccomics.com/2009/07/25/vertigo-voices-the-fables-forum-panel-highlights/

The major announcement today is that Bigby Wolf will be the protagonist of his very own ogn. Fables: Werewolves in the Heartland an original graphic novel written by Bill Willingham with art by Jim Fern. Bigby Wolf takes center stage in an action packed story full of sex, violence, intrigue and daring escapes, as he sets out on a quest across the US to find a new location for Fabletown.

Let's see what else is posted soon enough, but this will probably be coming out sometime in 2010. If nothing else, it is a different storyline than the Witches and Rose Red storylines which are upcoming (indeed, Bigby may not be back for much if any time after the Great Fables Crossover, since one of the reasons why Bigby and Snow went to look for Jack is so that Bigby wasn't close to Mr. Dark and his pernicious effects on Bigby).

There's also some nice Steve Leialoha art from the upcoming original Peter and Max GN AND a stand-alone one page BW/Bucky story which will serve as a table-setter for the second 100 issues of Fables.

(*) Arreglado, Eduardo.
Last edited by Juan Ramón Vallarino J. on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Re: Bigby OGN or Fables: Werevolves in the Heartland

Postby Eduardo Blake » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Love the project, have to clarify, it wasn't me who posted it. :)
Eduardo Blake

Postby Eddy Stone » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Sounds interesting enough. The mention of it being filled with sex sort of concerns me, given that Bigby is a married man. So hopefully he's not the one that's having all the sex.

IGN is reporting live from the panel and says that it is due out September(ish) 2010. So I'm guessing that's after or around issue 100?
Eddy Stone

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:53 pm

Eddy Stone wrote:Sounds interesting enough. The mention of it being filled with sex sort of concerns me, given that Bigby is a married man. So hopefully he's not the one that's having all the sex.

True story. I knew about the birds and bees, but it took watching an interview with Roger Staubach on some sort of NFL show in the early 80s to understand that people had sex for the fun of it, not just for procreation.

(Staubach, IIRC, was saying that he liked sex just as much as Joe Namath, just that he liked doing it with his wife, not with other women).

The point of the story (such as it is), is that the fact that there's lots of sex doesn't mean that it can't be Bigby and Snow getting on..... (or flashbacks, perhaps).
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:46 pm

(Tip of the hat to Eddy Stone on the SDDC thread).

IGN's coverage of the Fables panel has indicated that Werewolves in the Heartland will come out Septemberish 2010, and will be 144 pages.

Jim Fern, who did Rodney and June two-parter and issue 86, is slated to do the art on this story.
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Eddy Stone » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:21 am

I really like Jim Fern's stuff, but I was sort of hoping for someone new to Fables to be doing the next OGN.
Eddy Stone

Postby Jack Johnson » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:16 am

I wonder if this might see the return of Sarah Tanaraq. That'd count for the sex, and give Bigby some major issues to deal with. Regardless, I like the sound of this, and I cant wait to hear more.
Bullfinch Street Irregular #4
Imperial Cartographer and Assistant Census Taker

"Lord, what fools these mortals be."
Jack Johnson

Postby Stephanie Horn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:14 pm

Bill said the title is supposed to be Fables: Werewolves OF the Heartland.... Poor Shelly bond got a stern comment from Bill. The cover for it is absolutely beautiful.
Bullfinch Street Irregular #842
"Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say ... 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you can quote me." Elwood P Dowd
Stephanie Horn
Supreme Penguin Overlord

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:38 pm

There's a cover already for Werewolves of the heartland?
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Eddy Stone » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:40 pm

Juan Ramón Vallarino J. wrote:There's a cover already for Werewolves of the heartland?

Another piece of art from the SDCC09 Fables panel that must be seen!!
Eddy Stone

Postby Stephanie Horn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:53 pm

Yeah, it was really lovely. Lots of detail. My camera died so I didn't get any shots of it :(
"Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say ... 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you can quote me." Elwood P Dowd
Stephanie Horn
Supreme Penguin Overlord

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:04 pm

Was it by Joao Ruas?
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Stephanie Horn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:06 pm

I can't remember unfortunately.
Stephanie Horn
Supreme Penguin Overlord

Postby Michael Painter » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:13 pm

Hey Juan,
My time from being there lead me to believe that the promo art for Werewolves of the Heartland was by Jim Fern and inked by Craig Hamilton.
It's of Bigby walking in in the countryside and in the background you see a whole bunch of birch trees that form a larger image of a wolf.
Michael Painter

Postby shogun » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:05 am

yes cannot wait for bigby wolf to be front and centre in his own action/adventure... and hmm this seems to follow the next few arcs coming up ... maybe even the fall of mr dark since bigby is looking for a NEW fabletown ...or mayb he does this while dark is down in the city... however i find it interesting where they will make the new fabletown as its proximity to the farm will be jeopardized and it will change the state of the book as nyc will not be the setting anymore!
shogun

Re: Bigby OGN or Fables: Werevolves of the Heartland

Postby Bill Willingham » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:03 am

Yes, it is Werewolves OF the Heartland -- a minor difference perhaps, but I think one has poetry, while the other just sounds like a weather report.

The art we showed at the panel was not the cover to the book, but one of the interior pages.

Jim Fern and Craig Hamilton do the art, the same team that illustrated Fables 86.

I suspect whoever wrote that summery was using "sex and violence" together in its long established generic movie promo fashion of "Please come to our movie and we promise it will be exciting." I suspect this won't be a FABLES SEX SPECIAL.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Postby Philip Roworth » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:55 pm

This makes me immensely happy due to the one fact that seems to have skipped the discussion so far...

THERE ARE ACTUALLY WEREWOLVES!!! Not just Bigby but real lycanthropic humans. If I'm remembering this wrong from the panel, correct me before I get my hopes up

The race has been mentioned before and the knife was used for a kind of reverse lycanthropy on Bigby, but we haven't actually seen any up till now. This poses a number of very interesting questions for the race. While not as cool as Bigby, how badass are these guys? Though the lycanthropy is likely fable magic, are the humans affected still considered mundy? Are their transformations affected by the moon since clearly Bigby's reverse version isn't? Are they considered villains or simply cursed innocents?
Every book is a children's book if the kid can read - Mitch Hedberg
Philip Roworth

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:24 pm

Weren't there some references to werewolves (or how to trap them/best them) from some of the Nazi officers in the BIgby/Frankenstein two parter way back when?
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Chris Opperman » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:54 am

Hello, everybody!

The esteemed Craig Hamilton tried to post this preview page up for everyone (which kicks ass! what an awesome picture of bigby!) but wasn't able to do it, so I'm doing it for him. Story city -- here we come!

And here is a link to his page: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiec ... GSub=88267

Christopher
Chris Opperman
Chris Opperman

Postby Craig Hamilton » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:10 am

Thanks, Chris!! Please click the link to my gallery to see the image full size, and look carefully at the pattern in the birch trees. :-)
Craig Hamilton

Next

Return to Fables