The (not really all that) Big Christmas Announcement!

Discuss all things Fables

Moderators: Charles Reed, Kelsi Parker

The (not really all that) Big Christmas Announcement!

Postby Bill Willingham » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:50 am

First of all, Merry Christmas.

Now, here’s the announcement: As most of you know, last summer, at the San Diego convention, we gave away blue scarves, just like the ones worn by the Farm Fables who believe and hope that Boy Blue will be coming back from the dead – just the same, except ours were printed with the Fables logo and the message: Boy Blue is Coming Back. What you don’t know, is that, after all the giveaways at the convention, there were some left over, and I (with the help of Shelly and a few other partners in crime) managed to steal those leftover scarves and take them home with me.

So here we are. As a very, very small thank-you for being such loyal and insightful readers on this forum, I’m going to give away those remaining blue scarves, one each (and only one each) to the members of this forum.

But here’s the catch: I’m fairly certain there aren’t going to be enough to send one to each person here who wants one. I strongly suspect they’ll run out before everyone gets a chance at getting one. And this is why I spent so much time trying to decide if it was a good idea to offer any at all. The worst thing about free giveaways is that some get them and some don’t, and as much as I like to reward our readers, I don’t want to frustrate and penalize those who get left out, even for such a small thing as this. I was torn as to what was the best thing to do.

So here’s how we’re going to resolve it: I will send one scarf to each person here who wants one, until they run out. Here’s how I’ve decided to prioritize those requests, making it as fair as I’m able to determine such things:

1) First priority will go to those who’ve been here the longest, contributing the most. Of that group, no one will be penalized for making critical posts in the past. With very few exceptions – so few I can’t recall a single specific example – all critical postings here have followed the rules of good manners and reasonable criticism. This group will for the most part be the folks who visit and post often enough that I know them – or at least their names, without having to search their posting history.

2) Next we’ll send them to those who may not be as familiar to me, but who’ve been here the longest and posted the most.

3) Next will be everyone else, for as long as they last, assuming we get this far.

Now for the fine print – the annoying rules and caveats:

1) Because of the limited supply, no one gets more than one, no matter how many others folks in your household also read Fables. I appreciate that you folks are wonderful Fables evangelists, who spread the word far and wide, to all of your parents, husbands, wives, brothers, sisters and friends, but I simply don’t have enough to go around. The nice thing is, the scarves can be shared so easily.

2) No, I will not tell you how many blue scarves there are, because I don’t want the math wizards among you to be able to handicap where the cut-off is likely to fall. I haven’t even counted them and won’t. They’re in a stack and will be sent out one at a time, until I reach the bottom of the stack.

3) Anyone who requests one of the scarves will only do so knowing in advance that he or she may not get one, and not let that disappointment drive you into Mister Dark’s camp, like Nurse Spratt (no matter how many handsome princes he offers you). You will know in advance that, even if you don’t get one, I still very much appreciate that you’re such a loyal reader and member of this forum.

4) Anyone who gets a scarf promises two things: First: that you know the “Blue is Coming Back” message written on it is not a promise from us (those of us who produce the series) that he is coming back in the pages of Fables. It’s a statement of belief, or at least hope, or at least preference, on your part. Second: That you will wear the scarf – at comic book and science fiction conventions, being two good examples of where it might be appropriate attire.

5) This will take time. Lots of time. I will personally send out scarves, as quickly as I can. But this duty will fall well behind other obligations in my life – meeting Fables deadlines being but one example. Don’t be surprised if they’re still trickling out to you in the spring and summer.

6) Unfortunately, I cannot personalize the scarf to you, or sign it. As much as that would be a fine thing to do, it would almost insure that getting them all out will never actually get done. However, Bucky and Steve and I and anyone else involved with Fables, will be more than happy to sign them, if you ever see us at a convention.

7) I will not answer enquiries along the lines of, “Did I make the cut?” That would just break my (small lump of coal masquerading as a) heart to have to answer such questions. Basically, if a scarf ever shows up, that’s how you’ll know.

8) Finally, please, please, please, only ask for one of the scarves if you plan to keep it. If you just want something to sell on Ebay, I’d much rather they go to someone who wants an actual keepsake. No, I will not try to hunt down those who do put them up on Ebay (or the like). There’s no way to police this requirement, other than by the honor system.

9) For those of you who ask for one, but don’t make the cut, I’ll try to work out a way that you get to the front of the line the next time we have something fun to give away.

Okay then, how do you let me know you want one, and tell me where to send it?

Send me a private message, here at the forum, with your full real name and your complete mailing address. That’s it.

But you should note that it seems there is a limit to how many private messages we can have saved at any one time, and I have been horrible about reading mine and deleting the old ones in the past (mostly because I keep forgetting there are such things as private messages, and that little thing that lets you know you have one is very small and hard to notice). I will try to get the private messages from you folks read, addresses copied, and deleted, often and quickly, so that others can have room to send their messages. If the private message box is full, please keep trying. Yes, it’s an inefficient system, but I am an old man, easily fuddled by computer stuff, and nearly incapable of learning new tricks.

That’s all I can think of for now. Let me know if you have any questions that weren’t dealt with here.

And once again, Merry Christmas.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Re: The (not really all that) Big Christmas Announcement!

Postby Eduardo Blake » Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:52 am

Sounds cool, hope to make the cut.

But if not, either way, GREAt!.

Thanks Bill, and happy Christmas!
Eduardo Blake

Postby Chris Opperman » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:00 pm

That's awesome!

Merry Christmas, Bill! :)

Chris
Chris Opperman

Postby Will Chin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:13 pm

I'd love to receive one, since I've always wanted to go to San Diego Comic Con. But, living on the other side of the world in Asia makes that really, really difficult for the most part. Still, I can hope for such a thing, right? Wistful thinking, wistful thinking, that's what Christmas is and should be about! I shall keep my fingers crossed! Although, to be honest, I'm not sure if I have a good shot at this thing. I don't think I have hit four digits with my post, nor have I stayed here long enough (I signed on after reading the 12th trade!). I came onboard way too late, I suppose. But, CHRISTMAS MIRACLES! YES.

Think positive, Will.
Will Chin

Postby Josiah Truax » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:17 pm

There are others of us that just joined this month, Will. You're into three digits, so I believe you have a very good chance. Keep those hopes up! Think positive men! :D

Thanks again for doing this, Bill!
Josiah Truax

Postby Michelle Ho » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:19 pm

Merry Christmas Bill!

This is really all too much. =D
[...]Sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing, I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for.
- Sally, from the movie "Practical Magic"
Michelle Ho

Postby Will Chin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:20 pm

Josiah Truax wrote:There are others of us that just joined this month, Will. You're into three digits, so I believe you have a very good chance. Keep those hopes up! Think positive men! :D

Thanks again for doing this, Bill!

Posting right after Chris Opperman isn't exactly encouraging! D:
Will Chin

Postby Josiah Truax » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:21 pm

Well... that's understandable. :)
Josiah Truax

Postby Will Chin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:25 pm

Chris! I will trade my little toe for half your post count!

Not sure what you are gonna do with a toe, though.
Will Chin

Postby Michelle Ho » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:26 pm

Will Chin wrote:Chris! I will trade my little toe for half your post count!

I can think of a million things I would like to do w/ a toe...

Too bad they aren't legal....

**evil cackle*
[...]Sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing, I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for.
Michelle Ho

Postby Jason Feist » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:28 pm

Gonna have to google black magic and voodoo- I'm sure there has to be some use of someone's toe in in some kind of awesome voodoo spell...

In response to the announcment- sounds awesome (the scarves will be a great way to spot other Fables fanatics at Cons)
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams..
Jason Feist

Postby Will Chin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:33 pm

Michelle Ho wrote:

**evil cackle*

With half of your post counts, I'd offer about a year's worth of toe nails. But you'd have to wait for that to happen. :D
Will Chin

Postby Jason Doucette » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:33 pm

This is great,

Any idea if this is also for fans in the Great White North ? (Canada)
- Jason Doucette
Jason Doucette

Postby Bill Willingham » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:38 pm

Updates:

1) No trading of little toes, or other body parts, in exchange for a scarf.

2) Yes, readers world wide are equally eligible. If you make the cut, I'll be more than happy to pick up the postage.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Postby Bill Willingham » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:39 pm

If it's any consolation, I don't have as many posts as Chris either.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Postby Michelle Ho » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Will Chin wrote:
Michelle Ho wrote:

**evil cackle*
With half of your post counts, I'd offer about a year's worth of toe nails. But you'd have to wait for that to happen. :D

Bill Willingham wrote:Updates:

1) No trading of little toes, or other body parts, in exchange for a scarf.

2) Yes, readers world wide are equally eligible. If you make the cut, I'll be more than happy to pick up the postage.
Darn it BIll! I had a funny post coming...

I can't use it now...

**pouts**
Last edited by Michelle Ho on Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle Ho

Postby Michelle Ho » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:40 pm

Bill Willingham wrote:If it's any consolation, I don't have as many posts as Chris either.
Oooo but I'm only 130-ish posts shy of you...

w00t!
Michelle Ho

Postby Will Chin » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:45 pm

Bill Willingham wrote:If it's any consolation, I don't have as many posts as Chris either.

But you already have all the scarves. Can we trade favors instead of body parts then? Anybody craving for spices from the far east where I am from? Indian curry? Thai curry? We have everything here. I can ziploc them all and send over for, 1000 post counts.

I have a question, Bill. What if you've been to that particular convention and you already have a scarf? Can you ask for another one?
Will Chin

Postby Michelle Ho » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:46 pm

Will Chin wrote:
But you already have all the scarves. Can we trade favors instead of body parts then?
If we're trading favors... Oppy and Lou could vouch for me giving decent back rubs... =P
Michelle Ho

Postby mrs.dawnsmith » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:49 pm

Merry Christmas!

I sent my PM. Hmmm...I'm a lurker and a Convention regular, I just don't post that often...does that disqualify me?
Dawn Smith: The real life Snow, who found Matt, her real life Bigby
mrs.dawnsmith

Next

Return to Fables