Snow Write and Rose Read: The Fables 116 Letters

Discuss all things Fables

Moderators: Charles Reed, Kelsi Parker

Snow Write and Rose Read: The Fables 116 Letters

Postby Cindy McShane » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:00 pm

Spoilers lurk below!!!

Vertigo wrote:
In part three of "Cubs in Toyland," we clear up a little problem with the title. It's called "Cubs," plural, "in Toyland" but so far it's only poor Therese who's trapped there. How do we fix this? Enter the daring young cub named Dare! He's found a back door into the lost land with the help of one clockwork tiger. He's determined to rescue his sister, and as the military folks say, "Who dares wins!

Well, that was an interesting read.

So Lord Mountbatten can travel back and forth from his body to Toyland. And Bucky is making those toys look creepier by the issue. And Lily is a hot and sassy and SMART girlfriend.

More thoughts later.
"Sometimes I like to make my own sound effects. Is that so wrong?" --Jaime Reyes via Matt Sturges
Cindy McShane
Review/Link Goddess

Re: Snow Write and Rose Read: The Fables 116 Letters

Postby Michael Painter » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:13 pm

I liked learning more about Lord Mountbatten. That's a pretty sad curse. I do like seeing Bucky drawing tigers, though. Especially, ones with monocles.

I keep feeling more and more dread where Therese is headed in this arc. I too feel hungry after reading her plight.
I'm in fear of where this arc is going, even though Bill is writing the horror into this story so well.
Michael Painter

Postby HellBlazerRaiser » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:04 am

I reread 114 and 115 right before I read 116.

So far, this storyline has been all around excellent. The visuals for “Magicland,” “sometimes called Far Mattagonia,” “sometimes called Madland,” “the land of Discardia,” the Toyland are eerily beautiful.

Other than Winter being first born, I don’t know the order of the Cubs’ birth (I do not recall their order of birth being specifically mentioned; if it has, can you please let me know in which issue it was discussed?), but here are my guesses as to which fits with the prophecy, now that the storyline is three issues in.

Ozma’s prophecy read:
The first child will be a king.
– Winter was first born and she’s the new North Wind, King of the North.

The second child a pauper.
– I think this is Blossom. She seems to be more down to earth than her siblings and has some kind of connection to animals – mundy animals. I can see her wanting to live a simple life, avoiding extravagance.

The third will do an evil thing.
– I believe this is about Therese. I don’t see her as being evil in the least, but the “toys” in Discardia are shady (so far) and I can see her innocently doing “an evil thing” which will result in the death of….

The fourth will die to stop her.
– ….Darien, who travelled to Discardia in FABLES #116 to find Therese.

The fifth will be a hero bold.
– Connor will rise up to replace Dare as pack leader and become the bold hero of the Cubs.

The sixth will judge the rest.
– Ghost. He’s the outsider, part of the litter, but not really part of the pack. He has an outsider’s view and will judge how his solid siblings behave.

The seventh lives to ages old and is by heaven blessed.
– Ambrose. Kind of by default, but he also has an air about him that makes me think he’ll be quite long-lived and blessed by Heaven.
Daniel J. Micciche
http://hellblazerraiser.blogspot.com/
"You ate the 'ony.'"
HellBlazerRaiser

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Sun May 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Got issue 116 a few minutes ago (somebody who went to the U.S. got it for me, as it was going to arrive faster than the usual service).

The art was WONDERFUL. One of Bucky's best jobs. The writing was surprisingly effective, even witht he shortened length. This story will probably read much better in TPB, which is why I find myself (much against my usual instictints) wishing that it were TGP length.

Also, I really liked the small interchange between PInocchio and Ozma. I don't know if Pinocchio is actually convinced that there's a shot with Ozma, but the dialogue could be read as flirtatious on both sides (it reads better that way). I do wonder if Pinocchio is aware of Ozma's transgender/magical past, as I could see him a little freaked out about that if he were to know about it (I'm talking about the character as written by BW).
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby HellBlazerRaiser » Mon May 14, 2012 7:10 pm

I had a dream about the Cubs' birth the other night. For some reason, I was in the story in the dream and witnessed their birth order, but I can't remember the order! :(
Daniel J. Micciche
http://hellblazerraiser.blogspot.com/
"You ate the 'ony.'"
HellBlazerRaiser

Return to Fables