Questions, questions, questions

Discuss all things Fables

Moderators: Charles Reed, Kelsi Parker

Postby Tiggerbone » Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:28 am

Before this becomes a new "War Between the States" let us agree on the following: every state has good things about it; every state has scuzzy things about it. This is because people are both good and scuzzy. It just happens this way.

On the other hand, if we do want to do a "which state is best" thing, can we put it in a separate topic?
Tiggerbone

Postby Michael Lucero » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:25 pm

Owen *the one and Owenly* wrote:Before this becomes a new "War Between the States" let us agree on the following: every state has good things about it; every state has scuzzy things about it. This is because people are both good and scuzzy. It just happens this way.

On the other hand, if we do want to do a "which state is best" thing, can we put it in a separate topic?

Hey man, I think we were all joking. No one is trying to do a war between the states. I don't even think anyone was getting defensive about it.

It's all good.

To get back on the topic of questions for Bill, how about this...

What story does the Alligator come from in Animal Farm?
Michael Lucero

Postby Brian Hodge » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:26 pm

Agreed. No animosity here.

And I believe that tux-wearing aligator is another one of Mark's made up fables.
Brian Hodge

Postby Ria Allen » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:01 pm

Brian Hodge wrote:Agreed. No animosity here.

And I believe that tux-wearing aligator is another one of Mark's made up fables.

Really? I was thinking Cajun fables when I saw him.
Buffkin's Boosters

Yes, I'm still lurking. Lurking is fun.
Ria Allen

Postby Tiggerbone » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:29 pm

Actually, I knew there was no animosity, I just didn't want the whole topic to be hijacked. And I should have included a smiley after "War Between the States". :wink:
Tiggerbone

Postby Bill Willingham » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:06 pm

Br'er Gator.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Postby Ria Allen » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:33 pm

Bill Willingham wrote:Br'er Gator.

That's the one! I knew living so far South would be good for something! Does that mean Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Bear are on the Farm, as well?
Buffkin's Boosters

Ria Allen

Postby Terry Morton » Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:50 am

Ria Allen wrote:
Bill Willingham wrote:Br'er Gator.

That's the one! I knew living so far South would be good for something! Does that mean Br'er Rabbit and Br'er Bear are on the Farm, as well?

Br'er Rabbit was seen on-panel during Animal Farm and March of the Wooden Soldiers. Br'er Bear was mentioned in Animal Farm. In Animal Farm, they were both leading hunting groups during the hunt for Snow White. :)

Uncle Remus characters are awesome!
Terry Morton

Postby Michael Lucero » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:07 pm

Br'er Gator

Sweet! Now I know!

Now, Bill, how about the three giants, the big sleepers? What story are they from?

It's nice to get a straight answer for once. :wink:
Michael Lucero

Postby Blake Petit » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:33 am

I was really happy to see the Uncle Remus Fables show up too -- since Disney seems to want to pretend they never existed...

Cajun Fables, you ask? You're talking to a born and bred Louisiana boy right here, I could let you talk to some people...
Blake Petit

Postby Ria Allen » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:22 pm

Blake Petit wrote:I was really happy to see the Uncle Remus Fables show up too -- since Disney seems to want to pretend they never existed...

Cajun Fables, you ask? You're talking to a born and bred Louisiana boy right here, I could let you talk to some people...

Know any interesting ones? I LOVE the Cajun Night Before Xmas, and I've seen a few more float across the counter at work. Uncle Remus was really the only one I could remember any part of. If you could find some links, I'm sure everyone would appreciate them! :D
Buffkin's Boosters

Ria Allen

Postby Kelsi Parker » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:07 pm

Uh. . . I found a huge book called the "Mark Twain Library of Humor". Not all that funny, from my glance through, but there's some Uncle Remus in it.
Bullfinch Street Irregular #2, slayer of [2465] sp*mbots, and Moderator Supreme.

My Fables Fanvids
Kelsi Parker
Moderatrix/Spambane

Postby Ria Allen » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:31 pm

Kelsi Parker wrote:Uh. . . I found a huge book called the "Mark Twain Library of Humor". Not all that funny, from my glance through, but there's some Uncle Remus in it.

Thanks, Kelsi. I'll have to find it at the library. Ummm...maybe in a few days when I can hear again. I just got yelled at for getting my roommate into Fables--and not having #39 or #40. :twisted:
Buffkin's Boosters

Ria Allen

Postby Jodie B. » Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:55 pm

Being relatively new to the Fables world, I have been unable to wrap my mind around something.

Back in the Jack Civil War one-shot, Sally was a mundy, right? So why would a Fable (the grim reaper) come to collect a mundy upon their death? I could understand the grim reaper coming for a Fable, as they are both Fables, but the mundy world has death, but not a grim reaper, per se.
Omnia vincit amor
Mundus vult decipi
Jodie B.

Postby Ria Allen » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:46 pm

Jodie B. wrote:Being relatively new to the Fables world, I have been unable to wrap my mind around something.

Back in the Jack Civil War one-shot, Sally was a mundy, right? So why would a Fable (the grim reaper) come to collect a mundy upon their death? I could understand the grim reaper coming for a Fable, as they are both Fables, but the mundy world has death, but not a grim reaper, per se.

The Grim Reaper is an aspect of Death. The book calls the Reaper "dark angel", "rattle bones" and "death". Not a single "grim" or "reaper" in there! :D
Buffkin's Boosters

Ria Allen

Postby Bill Willingham » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:39 am

Outside of Sandman comics the Grim Reaper and Death are often considered synonymous. And now would be a good time to learn to consider any story centered around Jack as a healthy mixture of truth and tall tale. Which is which in the Civil War Jack tale? Good question.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Postby Blake Petit » Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:59 pm

Ria Allen wrote:
Blake Petit wrote:I was really happy to see the Uncle Remus Fables show up too -- since Disney seems to want to pretend they never existed...

Know any interesting ones? I LOVE the Cajun Night Before Xmas, and I've seen a few more float across the counter at work. Uncle Remus was really the only one I could remember any part of. If you could find some links, I'm sure everyone would appreciate them! :D

Heh -- the Cajun Night Before Christmas is really to contemporary to have transcended into Fabledom. It's a cute one, though.

I'll look around for some links. There are good ones out there. ;)
Blake Petit

Postby Ria Allen » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:55 pm

Bringing back an old question... Is there any more news on "One Thousand and One Nights of Snowfall"? Like a synopsis, artist info, ISBN?
Buffkin's Boosters

Ria Allen

Postby Bill Willingham » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:00 am

Nope, nope and nope.
Bill Willingham
Site Admin

Postby Kelsi Parker » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:18 am

Info I've gathered from various hints Bill has dropped, as it doesn't look like he'll expand on this one anytime soon . .

It'll be a hardback OGN, probably titled One Thousand and One Nights of Snowfall.

Charles Vess, Mark Wheatley and James Jean have been signed to illustrate some of the stories.

Story ideas include what happened to Fly's wife and kids, how Bigby's parents met and why Snow always gets pissed when the dwarves are mentioned

It's currently targeted for release sometime in 2006

We're all going to go insane waiting for this and it's looking like 2006 will be a grand year for Fables fans, what with the OGN and the one-shot #50 that Bill says will blow all the others off our favourites list.
Bullfinch Street Irregular #2, slayer of [2465] sp*mbots, and Moderator Supreme.

My Fables Fanvids
Kelsi Parker
Moderatrix/Spambane

PreviousNext

Return to Fables