Fairest 6

Where we gather to gush about the Fables Spin-off by Bill Willingham with art by Phil Jimenez

Moderators: Charles Reed, Kelsi Parker

Fairest 6

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:00 am

Really liked the issue. I am about to finish a Sandman re-read (first one in about 7 years, and driven by the recent final Sandman story announcement), but once I finish that, I will re-read these 6 issues to get a better feel for the story.

As to Briar Rose, the ending words of the Genie (or is it an Ifrit? Don't really recall) may be the opening to important plot developments (heck, the mere fact that she has this powerful Faerie under her "Control" and / or that she appears in Fabletown will be very important for plot developments' sake).

As to Lumi, I think this is going to be Jack Horner all over. But she seems to like that type of guy.
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Re: Fairest 6

Postby Cindy McShane » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:17 pm

Thanks for starting this thread, Juan.

I'll comment as soon as I find and get to a comic shop to get the issue to read it.
"Sometimes I like to make my own sound effects. Is that so wrong?" --Jaime Reyes via Matt Sturges
Cindy McShane
Review/Link Goddess

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Got your back, kid.
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Cindy McShane » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:21 pm

Juan Ramón Vallarino J. wrote:Got your back, kid.

And I thank you for it. Moving cross-country does make reestablishing routines interesting.

As for the issue, I think the discussion on the magic and how it works has some interesting implications for Fables as a whole, but it made an elegant sense both in why Briar Rose keeps falling asleep and why she could defeat Hadreon.

Yeah, Ali is a lot like Jack but hopefully Lumi is smarter this time.

Thoughts:

Did Briar Rose actually dump the Bottle Imp out of the car as she headed on her way?

Overall, I actually think it was a pretty interesting look at Lumi and to a lesser degree, Briar Rose. I do want to see more of the imperial remnants though.
"Sometimes I like to make my own sound effects. Is that so wrong?" --Jaime Reyes via Matt Sturges
Cindy McShane
Review/Link Goddess

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:26 am

FWIW, Vancouver is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. On one level, I'm seriously envious (on another, I get the impression that Vancouver is the type of place where you could get a little stir-crazy).

Good point on the explanations of how magic works. That dovetails nicely with a line I remember from way back when, where someone mentioned how the 13th floorers had studied Beast's curse back and forwards to better understand how it works. That statement and these new ones seem to show how magic works in the Fablesverse.
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Cindy McShane » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:21 am

Juan Ramón Vallarino J. wrote:FWIW, Vancouver is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. On one level, I'm seriously envious (on another, I get the impression that Vancouver is the type of place where you could get a little stir-crazy).

Good point on the explanations of how magic works. That dovetails nicely with a line I remember from way back when, where someone mentioned how the 13th floorers had studied Beast's curse back and forwards to better understand how it works. That statement and these new ones seem to show how magic works in the Fablesverse.

Vancouver is gorgeous and I'm looking forward to getting to know the city. My new workplace faces the seawall so I'm expecting some distractions.

So we have Briar Rose with 999 uses of some form of transport still to go, and a nasty situation waiting at the end of that. I wonder if someone else could use the car?
Cindy McShane
Review/Link Goddess

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:28 am

Please remind me where the Seawall is in relation to the Convention Center? (I stayed at a hotel close to the Convention Center in Sep/Oct 2010, but jogged deep into Gas Town and deep into Stanley Park – once almost to Lions Gate Bridge, and the other time to about the Second Beach area).

You know what Hadeon reminds me at the end of the issue? Black Mariah, in Time2: Satisfaction of Black Mariah book by Howard Chaykin from the late 80s (not as good as the first Time2 book, which was amazingly good, but still good).
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Rich Carreiro » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:33 am

Juan Ramón Vallarino J. wrote:driven by the recent final Sandman story announcement

What's this, then?
Get off my lawn, you damned kids!
Rich Carreiro

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:32 pm

Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby Cindy McShane » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:11 pm

Juan Ramón Vallarino J. wrote:Please remind me where the Seawall is in relation to the Convention Center? (I stayed at a hotel close to the Convention Center in Sep/Oct 2010, but jogged deep into Gas Town and deep into Stanley Park – once almost to Lions Gate Bridge, and the other time to about the Second Beach area)..

Then you likely went on the seawall - It is ~22 km of waterfront path around the downtown core. Stanley Park is beautiful, isn't it?
Cindy McShane
Review/Link Goddess

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Yes, I walked some of that, in the Coal Harbor area (and I guess a little on the other side of Stanley Park).
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby C. Kistler » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm

I haven't read this one yet, but so far, this series is what I wish Fables was. It's action and it's emotion and it's real characters. It's Beauty angry that True Love's Kiss never turns into True Love's Forever After. It's Lumi settling for the Master Storyteller, Ali, and using a great plot twist by calling in the cavalry. It's all internally consistent and lovely. I couldn't ask for more. It makes me wonder what is Bill up to over at Fables?!
Chrissy_Kistler, Bullfinch_Irregular #ない (nai)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln
C. Kistler

Postby Michelle Ho » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:41 am

C. Kistler wrote:I haven't read this one yet, but so far, this series is what I wish Fables was. It's action and it's emotion and it's real characters. It's Beauty angry that True Love's Kiss never turns into True Love's Forever After. It's Lumi settling for the Master Storyteller, Ali, and using a great plot twist by calling in the cavalry. It's all internally consistent and lovely. I couldn't ask for more. It makes me wonder what is Bill up to over at Fables?!
I think ever since Fables shifted to focus on Snow and Bigby's cubs (which are all technically new characters) it kind of changed things for the readership... Granted I could be wrong... but when the focus shifts from beloved fairytales characters to original ones the tone of the overall story changes.

I rather like the focus of the kiddies, but I think that particular storyline should have been the spinoff and Fairest been Fables... or something like that.
[...]Sometimes, when the wind is warm or the crickets sing, I dream of a love that even time will lie down and be still for.
- Sally, from the movie "Practical Magic"
Michelle Ho

Postby Juan Ramón Vallarino J. » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:18 pm

Truth be told, I haven't minded the current Fables storyline as much, BECAUSE there is a new book called Fairest.

I do miss the extra pages, though, and have repeatedly said I would pay extra for them.
Pro Mundi Beneficio
Juan Ramón Vallarino J.

Postby C. Kistler » Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:15 pm

Loads of fun! I really enjoyed this arc. I like how Briar Rose really stands up for herself and the imp tells her whatfor, re: love, true love's kiss v. a builder's love... Great message, great arc. Thumbs up all around.
Chrissy_Kistler, Bullfinch_Irregular #ない (nai)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln
C. Kistler

Return to Fairest