Address Unknown: The House of Mystery 13 Letters *SPOILERS*

The new Vertigo series.

Address Unknown: The House of Mystery 13 Letters *SPOILERS*

Postby Charles Reed » Wed May 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Lucky number 13 is on sale today with some heavy-hitting guest star artists. Don't forget to grab one.

Solicitation for House of Mystery #13

Written by Matthew Sturges, Bill Willingham and Chris Roberson; Art by Neal Adams, Ralph Reese, Sergio Aragones and Eric Powell; Cover by Esao Andrews; Variant Cover by Neal Adams

For its landmark 13th issue, HOUSE OF MYSTERY presents a special anthology featuring four separate stories written by Matthew Sturges, Bill Willingham and novelist Chris Roberson. This issue features the unique visuals of four artists including Neal Adams, Ralph Reese and Sergio Aragones, as well as a painted tale by Eric Powell (The Goon). Each story pays homage to that unluckiest of numbers.

Bullfinch Street Irregular #φ
Charles Reed
Time Lord

Re: Address Unknown: The House of Mystery 13 Letters *SPOILERS*

Postby Cindy McShane » Wed May 13, 2009 3:59 pm

Oh I liked this issue a lot.

First Tale - by Matt - The Thirteenth Hour where we discover there is an additional hour, 13 between noon and 1 where monsters appear and people die. It's a great little tale, but is Eric going to put off proposing until Misaki agrees to the bargain?

2nd Tale - by Bill - The Lace Anniversary - A warped horror tale/love story - Why does going into a magically appearing little gift store that you've never noticed before rarely turn out well?

3rd Tale - by Chris - 13th time is the charm - This was a rather sweet tale with latent possible menace. I'm going with the sweet optimistic interpretation.

4th Tale - by Matt - Sergio Aragones did this 1 pager and it's a treat and made me grin.

Beautiful art, and fun tales.
"Sometimes I like to make my own sound effects. Is that so wrong?" --Jaime Reyes via Matt Sturges
Cindy McShane
Review/Link Goddess

Postby braddock » Wed May 13, 2009 11:02 pm

I think this is my favourite issue of the series! Great all around, though The Lace Anniversary was probably the best. I'm more a fan of the disparate stories than hearing about Fig. Have Cain strangle her?

Second best comic of the week (nothing came close to Irving and Nicieza's Azrael finale).
braddock

Postby Bryan_Murphree » Fri May 15, 2009 5:23 pm

I enjoyed it. I'll give it the best score I can give ever: a B+!

Seriously I appreciate each story has the challenge of overcoming a dead lift - breaking through a wall of apathy that arises anew each time. I know that's gotta be tough, no matter the number of lovable rampaging monsters you use.

* nerdy nerd nerd time*

Aokigahara has a bit over twice the suicides as The Bridge does. They have an annual tradition of forming a small army of police and volunteers to root out the corpses from the forest, started back in nineteen dickity six - I mean 1970.

* nerdy time all over *
Bryan_Murphree

Postby Jonathan Cook » Fri May 15, 2009 10:18 pm

That was a very fun issue! I hope you do that for every 13th issue, so lets see this same kind of thing in issue #26.

I like Bill and Matt's stories the best, but I'm having a hard time choosing one over the other. I dig the idea behind Matt's story that its an ongoing daily cycle of the end of the World that this chosen fellow gets to endure. Bill's story, however, had a Twilight Zoneish feel to it, so I think overall I'm more inclined to go with Bill this time around.
Jonathan Cook

Postby Melfice » Wed May 27, 2009 12:36 am

I started reading comics a few months ago, and House of Mystery has been on my "I should give this a try list" ever since I heard about it. I bought and really enjoyed #13 a lot. I like how the stories were told and it was easy to follow too (did not seem connected to the other books). House of Mystery has been added to my pull box going forward!
Timothy Magana
Vertigo Series I'm currently reading: Fables, Jack of Fables, Greek Street, House of Mystery, Northlanders, Unknown Soldier and Unwritten
Melfice

Postby C. Kistler » Wed May 27, 2009 7:17 pm

Bryan_Murphree wrote:* nerdy nerd nerd time*

Aokigahara has a bit over twice the suicides as The Bridge does. They have an annual tradition of forming a small army of police and volunteers to root out the corpses from the forest, started back in nineteen dickity six - I mean 1970.

* nerdy time all over *

I've not read the story, and I don't know if "the Bridge" is the Golden Gate Bridge, where lots of people jump, though not so many lately, but having climbed Fuji and not actually believing in the supernatural, I can tell you, the forest is spooky. Fuji is spooky. It just rises up out the landscape. I honestly don't believe that places can be more "powerful" or less "powerful" than others, but if places could have power, Fuji and its environs would be up there.

I love the number 13, and while I don't collect House of Mystery, since this issue is circumscribed, I might just throw a couple bucks down and get it.
Chrissy_Kistler, Bullfinch_Irregular #ない (nai)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." --Abraham Lincoln
C. Kistler

Postby Emanuel Appelgren » Wed May 27, 2009 11:32 pm

Yes, a really good issue this time. I had sort of been missing the stories that were not connected to the main plot.
the goldfish and the frog sat on a log

like all those famous fables they had a moral

the goldfish and the frog, they got along pretty well

what's more to tell cause that says a lot
Emanuel Appelgren

Postby e, t z » Thu May 28, 2009 11:27 pm

Awesome! I have only read the first trade so far, so I don't know what's going on in the house (until the 2nd trade comes out).
I loved all these stories; I can't either choose a favorite (really! I wanted to say The 13th Hour, but I realized the others are as easily good)!
I absolutely love the way the text boxes tell a story own their own (a completely different one than the pictures). This was really evident in the third story by Chris Roberson, but really in all of the HoM stories in all issues.
There was a fourth story? I thought it was an activity thing?
e, t z

Postby Melfice » Thu May 28, 2009 11:59 pm

I just got the first trade today, and I will be reading it this weekend for sure. Sounds like you will be cont with the House of Mystery, Eric. Thanks for sharing your impressions with us :)
Timothy Magana
Vertigo Series I'm currently reading: Fables, Jack of Fables, Greek Street, House of Mystery, Northlanders, Unknown Soldier and Unwritten
Melfice

Postby Stephanie Horn » Fri May 29, 2009 12:24 pm

I have to admit, I really like Bill story about the homicidal couple. I just thought it was really interesting and somewhat funny :)
Bullfinch Street Irregular #842
"Years ago, my mother used to say to me, she'd say ... 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh, so smart or oh, so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. And you can quote me." Elwood P Dowd
Stephanie Horn
Supreme Penguin Overlord

Postby Dennis Willette » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:51 pm

I definitely liked Matt's story the best... More of the random genius and chaotic storytelling that makes the book so enjoyable to read in the first place. It seems like characters with bored reactions to the fantastic events pop up a bunch in HOM, and I love it... "yeah, yeah... monsters are ripping everyone you know apart. Not to worry, it happens every day." For me, it's funny every time. It seems to be part of the nature of everyone that comes to the inn. Everything is completely tripped out, but at the end of the day it's about how the characters deal with bizarre things. They somehow just accept them and move forward.
Dennis Willette

Postby Justin Iseminger » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:15 am

Maybe they'll do a special thing for issue 23. I think that would be cool.
Justin Iseminger

Return to House of Mystery